Take this pill! Try this workout routine! Join this gym!
There are so many messages we receive daily on the best way to get fit - some of them great and some of them utterly ridiculous.
There are tried and true ways to build muscle and these tenets have been proven over time:
1. Strength training: Lift weights! Make sure you progressively increase the weight or reps over time to challenge your muscles. Send a "muscle-building" signal to your body by prioritizing strength training. Cardio is fine, but too much is catabolic (it breaks down muscle).
2. Eating a high-protein diet: Protein is essential for muscle growth. Aim to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight each day.
3. Getting enough rest: Your muscles need time to recover and rebuild after a workout, so it's important to get enough rest. Make sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night. And take rest days.
4. Staying hydrated: Drinking enough water - and electrolytes - is important for muscle growth and recovery.
5. Taking creatine: it’s the most-studied and effective supplement for gaining muscle and improving performance.
One big point: you have to be consistent in all of the above to see results.
It doesn’t happen overnight - it’s slower to gain muscle than it is to lose it. BUT, once you get there, if you remain consistent, it’s easy to keep muscle on.